Welcome to the story of my family, and an amazing journey of a little boy who is struggling to make his body work. If you are not familiar with Alex's story, check out my first blog in June (2010)

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Back in the Saddle Again

I've been out of commission for a few months with the arrival of a very important little lady, Addie. I know many of my friends and family members have wanted an update on our little ones, and now that I have some (I use this word loosely) time, I'm ready to get back into the world of blogging. Today's writing will be to give you guys a look into my three little loves' lives. Let's start with Addie...
We have a new little lady that has added immense joy to our lives. I was nervous about adding a third child. Not nervous about having three kids, but nervous about being the best mom that I could be to ALL of my kids. I didn't want to not have time for one of my kids, not be there when they needed me, not give them all the love that I can give to them individually. I realize now that even though we already had our hands full with the twins, Addie has been a final piece to our puzzle that we never thought we needed. It is funny how you find out something was missing without even knowing there was a missing link. Alex and Elle have been our loves and lives for 4 years, and they keep us on our toes at all times. And now, Addie has added a calm to our chaos (good chaos that is!). She really has completed us...cheesy as it may sound. She brings out the best in my Elle. Elle has become such a great big sister. She helps out all the time. She sings to Addie, puts her paci in her mouth when I need a hand, covers her with blankets (not her face...we had to have that talk already), makes faces at her, and most importantly makes her smile all the time! They really have a great bond at just 2 and 1/2 months. Alex, loves to pat his sissy and give her kisses - especially when she is sad. He is great about getting things like burp clothes or a diaper when it is just out of hands reach. They seems to have jumped into this new adventure with ease and love!

Addie has been sleeping between 7 to 9 hours every night. The only problem is that time is usually up around 3:30-4 so it seems as if she is not sleeping through the night. I think I need to mess with her final eating time at night. Make that 7-9 hours end around 6 or 7 instead!! She lifts her head up (and has lifted it since day 5). She can sit in her bumbo, roll to her side (she's trying for all the way but just can't get it yet), and push to stand on my legs for a few seconds. She smiles every time she wakes up. She coos and has giggled once in her sleep. Her only issue so far is some constipation that has lasted long enough to warrant some prescription laxatives that we have been using daily for 3 weeks. She is just a great baby girl! Matt and I have had a chance to have just her at home twice now. The twins went to my mom's, and it was a wonderful night. I never got to experience the only child thing, and it is truly awesome...something I missed out on. So a night or two here and there, is a great taste of that life.

Elle is starting Pre-K this year. She is in Ms. Sherrie's class, and she loves it. She is starting to understand her letters. This has been a hard one for her. She tends to say she "can't do it" when something is tough. We are working on getting that negativity out of her head. She was so proud last week when she wrote a lowercase 'e' and recognized the letter 'm.' The light in her face and the joy in her words of "I can do it" was amazing. Now I just have to get her to understand the meaning of the word "BORING!" because doing our hair is not boring, homework is not boring, eating is not boring. Girl...really?!?!


Alex is always a long story, but today is just a quick update. He has had his first set of stitches (that weren't due to a planned surgery). We were out to eat when the kids saw the empty, cement dance floor (it was a early dinner before the crowds). Alex started to run (the way he fast walks) and Elle did too. Before I could catch him, Elle stumbled into him and his chin met the ground before his hands. 2 internal stitches and 8 external ones later, we have a great story to tell! He took it like a champ. Beyond the initial crying with the fall and a few frustrated grunts during the procedure, he has been his normal happy, wild self. I am sure that his high pain tolerance is helpful too!

He is back at the PPCD at Little. The same teachers are with him again, and I couldn't be happier. He seems to have stepped up this year, and raises his hand to answer questions or be a leader. He is just having a great time and making steady progress!

We have started taking an attention medicine called Tenex (Guanfacine) in March. Since the start of the medication, Alex has met and surpassed all his IEP goals, and he is doing so well cognitively. I feel like his mind is really starting to make some great connections. Small steps lead to big boosts in confidence and courage!

As for Matt and I, we are enjoying our "new" life. I'm staying at home with the kids. Even though Alex is at school in the morning and Elle is in Pre-K for most of the day, we are able to do so much more with them. I feel like this is the right place for us, right now. I had a moment before school started where I thought, "Did I make the right choice to leave teaching?" but I quickly realized that home is definitely the right place for me! My kids need me!

Tonight I start my new job coaching at TAV. I am helping with their positional clinics one night a week for this month (2 days next month), and will take over a team when club starts in January. To have a few hours to get out of the house one night a week, should be nice! I am also editing a blog for an OB/GYN in Dallas that takes up a few hours each week too. I really enjoy that, plus I've learned so much about female health! Finally, I am getting ready to embark on a new adventure. I am going to be applying (it's a process) for admission into the Doctoral program at Texas Wesleyan University for the Fall of 2013. I had a meeting with the advisor last week, and I couldn't be more happy of where my life is going to go in the next year. If I get in, I will be able to be an adjunct professor in the School of Education while working on my degree. This will still give me time to be at home, but to move into a new stage of my career as well. This new stage is 2 fold! The first fold is selfish. I've wanted to be a Professor of Education since my undergrad, and the timing finally fit.  The second part comes in the form of a little boy I met four years ago.  He has become a teacher of life to me, and I want to explore him so much more than I already have.  Of course my son, Alex, is this little boy.  I want to continue to conduct research on many facets of his life from education, mobility, speech, socializing, bonding, family connections, the twin factor, and so n.  I have tried my hardest to explore every avenue that I know of with Alex, but I believe that with intensive research in the field of "Alex," I have the possibility to open doors to places that I never knew existed.  I will be able to help Alex in such a different way by taking on the role of researcher versus mom (of course the "mom" hat will stay firmly in place as well).  I can become an expert, more than the little bit that I am, on the life of a kid who is running at full pace but not getting anywhere.  I'm hoping that with the help of professors, research, and a mom's persistence, I can continue to unravel the mystery of my son.  I am excited to continue my research with a purpose to present it to the educational staff at Wesleyan and possibly publish it for the moms, families, teachers, and doctors that need some help in aiding their kids. So for the next few years, look to my site for interesting things I have found along the way to help my special needs son!

3 comments:

Lisa and Ryan said...

This is awesome Kelly! I am really happy for you in all of your new endeavors! I can't believe Elle is in Pre-K this year! Wow. That class is so fun- Addyson had a great time (although she had Ms Tina). Love that school! I look forward to reading about all your new adventures!

Living with Designer Genes said...

Hi Kelly, I loved reading about Alex! I am wondering, did you resolve the stool withholding issue? The bad breath issue? The sleeping issue?

Has sweet Alex been evaluated for an Autism Spectrum Disorder?

Are you familiar with the Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, Maryland. It is an internationally renound facility that nothing compares with.
www.kennedykrieger.org

Living with Designer Genes said...

Hi Kelly, I loved reading about Alex! I am wondering, did you resolve the stool withholding issue? The bad breath issue? The sleeping issue?

Has sweet Alex been evaluated for an Autism Spectrum Disorder?

Are you familiar with The Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore, MD. You may want to consider having him seen there. They are amazing and world renound.

www.kennedykrieger.com